- New Bee and Puppycat! Go!
- The common defences for whitewashing and why they are bullshit. [Pajiba]
- The Toast has really been bringing it in the fantasy-based childhood memoirs department, and this piece, about monsters and possession and sexual assault, is just as powerful as the rest.
- “In which three adults discuss Dune seriously and at length.” [The Toast]
- Hey remember when Philae successfully landed on a comet but there was a really unfortunate sexy-lady shirt involved? Well Elly Zupko is making an alternate version of the shirt, covered in pictures of women who’ve made contributions to STEM fields. Here’s her kickstarter, it looks amazing.
- Cool stuff from the Mary Sue! They review Kelly Sue DeConnick’s new comic, Bitch Planet, talk about how Kamala Khan (aka Ms. Marvel) is the most important superhero in the world, and discuss how it’s fine if you aren’t offended about something, just don’t tell others they can’t be offended either. Etiquette, people.
- Continuing on with the superhero theme, Bitch wonders why hollywood is so scared of Wonder Woman. (Some of the research actually comes from Jill Lepore’s book The Secret History of Wonder Woman, which you should also get your hands on, if you can.)
- There’s a pretty unsettling moment of transphobia in the recent Batgirl #37. Autostraddle is, rightly, disappointed and outraged, while the Mary Sue hopes the conversation surrounding the issue will lead to better things.
- Hey are you an aspiring video game creator in Montreal? Here are cool resources for you: Gamerella is a game jam primarily for women-identified and gender non-conforming folks, and Pixelles is a great network with mentoring initiatives and other cool projects.
Image by kinlee89.tumblr.com.