- What could be better than Orange is the New Black creator Jenji Kohan working on a Salem witch trials period drama? Oh that’s right, nothing. [Hollywood Reporter]
- Newsfeed put together an amazing video compilation of 2013’s terrible media representations of women. It’s worth a look.
- Mother Jones blames everything that goes wrong in The Hunger Games on climate change, and is very, very right.
- I’m wishing you a very merry 12 Days of Twin Peaks.
- For a long time it’s been a dream of mine to build a totally self-sustaining house, and apparently they are called Earthships, because they really needed another reason to be cool. [HighExistence]
- While we’re on the topic of architecture: Ninja houses and skeleton houses in Japan. [CNN]
- Disney will be debuting a new tv movie called Descendants. It will follow the next generation from Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Tangled, and Mulan, as they start school with the children of Cruella de Vil, Maleficent, the Evil Queen, and Jafar. Somewhere, a fanfic writer is screaming “IT LIVES!” [The Mary Sue]
- Also from the Mary Sue, the latest wave of video game harassment. Joy of joys.
- Here’s a nice roundup of feminist fantasy YA literature. [Groupthink]
- How excited are you for Firefly Online? Probably not as excited as I am, that’s for sure. io9 gives us a first look at ship, character, and (most importantly) hair style design. There is even concept art. Shiny!
- J.R.R. Tolkien reviews the new Hobbit, and it is titled “Hot Elf Action!” and is delightful. (But trigger warning for words like “hobo” and “midget”). [The Stranger]
- Jezebel delves into the shady side of highlighter-coloured unicorns in their exposé on Lisa Frank.
Image from Ginger Haze’s The Broship of the Ring series.