- First, do yourself a favour and go read, in its entirety, the Setup Wizard, the saga of the poor muggle hired to set up Hogwarts’s wifi. (Thanks to my friend David for sending this my way.) (Also fuck you David I got no work done last weekend.)
- Autostraddle reviews Moana’s ability to balance staying true to oneself with respecting tradition, while not forgetting the very real criticisms Pacific Islander communities have brought forward.
- Here’s an excellent series of tweets explaining how geek subcultures gave birth to the so-called “alt-right.”
- Yoooo Kate McKinnon will be getting behind the wheel of The Magic School Bus in the upcoming reboot! Aside from it being a wonderful idea, it also makes sense, given the long-standing tradition of fans reading Ms. Frizzle as queer. [The AV Club/Autostraddle]
- This futuristic photoshoot by photographer Yannis Davy is really beautiful [Afropunk]
- DUST has a cool video series on the major figures of afrofuturism. Episode one introduces Sun-Ra, and episode two discusses the role of Uhura.
- “They got sick, then they moved into a virtual utopia.” [Backchannel]
- TABULA IDEM is a queer tarot-themed comics anthology currently funding on kickstarter. It looks cool!
- Last week a group of witches cast a spell to remove Trump from office, as the BBC reports. They’re going to keep going, too, so if you’re interested there’s an official Facebook page for updates.
- “We tested bots like Siri and Alexa to see who would stand up to sexual harassment.” [Quartz]
- Lastly, I wrote a piece for the Mary Sue on the real-life resistance strategies we can learn from The Handmaid’s Tale.
Image from “2050” by Yannis Davy.