- Comic artists Riad Sattouf, Daniel Clowes, and Joann Sfar, among others, pulled out of the running for the Angoulême festival’s grand prix over an all-male list of nominees. [The Guardian]
- This is the movie Inside Out, but as a supercut of only the outside bits. It’s still pretty sad.
- Japanese pop duo FEMM (which stands for Far East Mention Mannequins) are on a mission to free all mannequins from human oppression. The video for their new song “PoW!” has some great comic book elements to it, and I might be reading too much into things but I think there’s some interesting commentary on the objectification and commodification of women’s bodies. Either way I’ve been humming the chorus for a solid week.
- Another Steven Bomb! The latest episodes we’ve been gifted by the powers that be at Steven Universe were fantastic, and you can head over to the Mary Sue for some good recapping. And then, true to form, there’s Autostraddle with “6 ways Steven Universe out-gayed itself with ‘The Answer.'”
- Here have some original 1959 Sleeping Beauty art by Eyvind Earle. [vintagegal.tumblr.com]
- I don’t know how I missed this Oh Joy Sex Toy guest post in which Molly Ostertag talks about Dragon Age and the variety of relationships possible, but I will make up for that now.
- Philadelphia’s Amalgam Comics & Coffeehouse focuses on diversity and sounds awesome. [The Mary Sue]
- Also from the Mary Sue, they’ve got a cool video series going called Sex Equals Death, where they discuss things like weaponized sex and vagina dentata in horror movies, and slashers and their final girls.
- And a couple more Star Wars-type things! Actor and writer Matty Granger had a few choice words for the Huffington Post and their piece on movie plot holes. His point-by-point takedown is intensely satisfying. The Toast thinks Finn is the best character and the emotional centre of the film. And they’re pretty right.
Image by Isa, the panda