- The Mary Sue discusses and deconstructs makeovers in young adult fiction, how they’ve evolved, and how they are being subverted.
- Now that Xena is twenty years old, a look back on how the warrior princess changed television. [The Mary Sue]
- Cute little infographic on how best to fight in a ballgown! [mirandemia.tumblr.com]
- Here’s a video all about the queer coding of Disney’s male villains.
- io9 is really into Italian horror films. (Don’t worry, I’ll be getting to those in my own recommendations.)
- I really enjoy the Mary Sue’s series on the psychology of fictional characters, and the most recent instalment is on my forever-love Morticia Addams.
- Read this New York Times essay titled “on whoredom, demonic possession, and penitence.”
- I’d already meant to read Claire Vaye Watkins’ dystopian novel Gold Fame Citrus, but this Gawker Review of Books interview really sealed the deal.
- Jezebel has an excerpt of David Jaher’s new book, The Witch of Lime Street, in which he chronicles the time Harry Houdini and Scientific American attempted to discredit 1920s mediums and occultists.