- “Reasons I Would Make an Excellent Valkyrie and You Should Consider Me for the Position.” [The Toast]
- Okay so I usually know everything there is to know about witches but SOMEHOW I was not aware of the, ahem, NSFW roots of the whole witches flying on broomsticks motif. The more you know, hey? [Atlas Obscura]
- Which superhero movies pass the Bechdel test? The Daily Dot has got you covered with a handy infographic.
- It’s no secret that I’m in love with Disney’s fabulous lady villains, so I’m similarly all over this 2012 Autostraddle post on evil Disney queens doing it for themselves.
- I don’t watch The 100, but apparently it’s got a pretty interesting, non-violent approach to the dystopian survival story. [Bitch magazine]
- Also from Bitch, the anime Ghost in the Shell (go watch it) is getting a live-action movie remake, and Scarlett Johansson is slated to play the lead in another disappointing instance of whitewashing.
- “Male nerds think they’re victims because they have no clue what female nerds go through.” [New Republic]
- And here’s a bunch of stuff from the Mary Sue: the highlights from Margaret Atwood’s recent Reddit AMA; 10 rules for making a modern transgender superhero; Psychologist Janina Scarlet explaining the roots of Korra’s PTSD.
- Actually, Dr. Scarlet’s entire website, Superhero Therapy, is pretty great. Here she uses Harry Potter to explain anxiety.
Top image: “Witches Going to Their Sabbath (or The Departure of the Witches),” Luis Ricardo Falero.