- Years ago I went sailing in British Columbia’s Desolation Sound, and for a whole day the water was totally choked with little white jellyfish. They were so thick that it seemed like there were more jellyfish than actual ocean. By evening they were gone though, so I figured we’d passed them by and I could go for a pre-dinner snorkel. I jump in, stick my face in the water, and what do I see? Not even six feet from the surface, WALL OF JELLYFISH. Cue hysterical underwater panic attack. All of this to say that I might not be totally unbiased when it comes to jellyfish, BUT, you guys, ZOMBIE JELLYFISH EXIST, and also there are lots of different kinds that can kill you in minutes and they’re TAKING OVER THE WORLD. [Grist/The New York Review of Books]
- I’ve started playing Winterstrike, a text adventure written by Yoon Ha Lee over at Storynexus, and I can’t recommend it enough. In the game, you explore the ice-locked city of Iria, trying to figure out what happened during the cataclysmic winterstrike, and a highlight for me is definitely that many of the characters you encounter—merchants, duelists, and militia members—are women. You can also choose to be ambiguously gendered, which doesn’t happen often in games. It’s details like that that are really meaningful and make the world richer.
- WE ARE GETTING MORE FIREFLY COMICS. THIS IS STARTING TO DAMAGE MY CALM. [Comic Book Resources]
- Racialicious asks if, in all the hullaballoo about the new Miss America, we’re forgetting that she’s super geeky.
- Would you like a $100 3D printer? Kickstarter’s got you covered.
- How does a 15 year-old shoot her way out of a Nazi interrogation room? Find out more about Zinaida Portnova at the Toast.
Top image by Jake Lawrence of Timecowboy!