- “The ten gayest/feminist-est things that happened at San Diego Comic Con this year.” [Autostraddle]
- Have you watched Stranger Things? You should go watch Stranger Things. Vulture thinks Barb is the best character (because it’s true), and here’s a side-by-side comparison of all the 70s/80s films the show references.
- Miss Cleo, the television fortune teller of 90s television, died recently at the age of 53. [NPR]
- Little White Lies calls The Love Witch feminism’s answer to sexploitation films.
- While not strictly speculative fiction-related, Little White Lies has some great writing out now, calling the exploitation film Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! an unlikely feminist classic, and praising Gaslight as the first film to showcase an abusive relationship.
- Here’s a very thoughtful piece on science fiction’s current interest in reclaimed autonomy and the commodification of women’s bodies, as seen in Mad Max, Orphan Black, and many others. [The Mary Sue]
- Also from the Mary Sue, a huge group of people have adopted the Pokemon Go team leaders as trans or queer, and it seems like a lovely little community has sprung up around that.
- “When abuelita goes to Sand Diego Comic Con.” [We Are Mitú]
- “Are women too had to animate?” Feminist Frequency answers all your why-are-we-still-talking-about-this questions.
Image from Anna Biller’s The Love Witch